Saturday, October 3, 2009

A boycott to silence...a heretic?

http://tinyurl.com/y9kwoag
The Conscience of a CapitalistThe Whole Foods founder talks about his Journal health-care op-ed that spawned a boycott, how he deals with unions, and why he thinks CEOs are overpaid.By STEPHEN MOORE
"I honestly don't know why the article became such a lightning rod," says John Mackey, CEO and founder of Whole Foods Market Inc., as he tries to explain the firestorm caused by his August op-ed on these pages opposing government-run health care...
****Could the secrecy about the effect on sales of Whole Foods derive from the possibility that it was not at all negative? Let me cite my own experience. I am not a big believer in the organic food movement and have not been a regular shopper at Whole Foods. Nevertheless, I liked what Mr. Mackey said in his Op-Ed piece but, more importantly, was outraged by the putative boycott because of it. I resolved both to become a regular customer of Whole Foods and to encourage my friends and acquaintances to do the same.
I wonder how many share my belief that fanatical censors-by-boycott should be countered in the marketplace just to oppose their ideas and methods. Fanatics publicize their intentions, invariably assuming that others agree with them. This letter aside, people who disagree do not publicize their opposition, which can become viral. Why let the idiots know their efforts are counter-productive to their ends? ****

No comments:

Post a Comment